- 1 head cabbage, clean & quartered, with each quarter halved
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1 extra lg. onion, chopped
- 1 extra lg. bell pepper, chopped
- 2-3 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2-3 sprigs parsley, chopped
- 1 lg. lb. chopped or ground beef
- 2 c. cold cooked rice or 2 c. minute rice (salted & water)
Optional: 1/2 can tomato sauce or 1 large tomato, peeled and chopped. Spray large skillet (that has a good cover) with Pam. Brown meat (leave drippings unless too fat). Add onions, bell peppers, etc. and stirring, saute with meat until onions are clear. Add cabbage. Season all very well to taste. Add approximately 2 cups hot water and rice. Stir all well together and cover, simmer, stirring occasionally.
If too dry, add water, if too wet, uncover after cooking. Cook until cabbage is tender.Serves 4-6, depending on hunger. If tomato sauce or tomato is used, cut on water to approximately 1 1/2 cups. Serve with green salad. Very Quick - start to finish, approximately 1 hour.
Note: Okra can be substituted for cabbage, but don't add rice.
Put over cooked rice (or do without, can add smoked sausage to this when with okra). Add 1 tablespoon roux to mixture before simmering. Better not to add water, also, just cover and simmer real slow! The cabbage rolls recipe is ready to serve...enjoy !